For a little mind-blowing fun, we’ve put together a small list of tooth trivia. Try quizzing your kids or friends and see if they know any of these surprising facts.
- The plaque that is found on teeth can support more than 300 different kinds of bacteria. If you were looking for a little more motivation to brush your teeth at night, I think that’s it, right there.
- Many people place a cap on their toothbrush hoping to protect it from germs and other bacteria that might be floating around the bathroom. Though counter intuitive, this is actually the worst thing you can do because bacteria grows best in a damp environment. The best thing you can do to keep your toothbrush clean is let it dry out and regularly throw it away and get a new one.
- Snail teeth are now considered to be the strongest material on Earth. Yes, even stronger than spider’s silk.
- Close the toilet seat. When you flush the toilet, small droplets of water are pushed out of the bowl and out into the room while some bacteria also become aerosolized. This might sound gross, but you can partially prevent it by closing the toilet seat. Even though it might not completely solve the problem, try to store your toothbrush as far from the toilet as possible.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. Though this is true, we do NOT recommend using your teeth as tools; let the bottle opener and scissors do the work for you